Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sleeper train, first day in Moscow, et al...

We made it successfully to Moscow after a relatively smooth sleeper train operation. The day before we spent some free time going from the hotel to the center of St. Pete using public transportation (bus>metro). Getting 3 dozen people from point A to point B-- and the majority have never been to Russia-- was an endeavor. But it worked! Thomas and Travis were very helpful in using their Russian to accompany one of three groups (makes a teacher proud...sniff). We had free time because we had to check out of the hotel early, then wait for the train to Moscow.

The train ride went well, though, as usual, I got about an hour of sleep. We were all dog-tired when we arrived in Moscow, but we were picked up brought to the hotel Cosmo (on the north side of the city) and given breakfast (coffee!!!). After that, wen had a short city tour on the bus followed by some free time to wander Red Square. Some in the group queued up right away to see Lenin, others,like me, just meandered and grabbed a bite for lunch. After we checked in, we had some down time. I was in a deep sleep when the maid knocked on my door to change out the pillows at 3pm. Why, I have no idea. I was so out of it, I wasn't even sure where I was.

Now it's after 7, we've eaten, and we're off to the Arbat (shopping district). I'll try to post more pics, but it's a crapshoot with the Russian cell providers.

That's it for now!